Published on Feb 16, 2015
Global News Montreal
Mon, Feb 16: WiFi baby monitors are all the rage and can help a parent feel more secure. But did you know they’re easy targets for hackers? Terry Cutler tells Paola Samuel how parents can protect themselves and their children.
Baby monitor hacked
Protecting your WiFi baby monitors, safety topics covered:
- It is important to keep in mind that baby monitors are connected to your wireless network and often allow you to connect/view them with your mobile device/phone from anywhere in the world.
- It is important to utilize strong passwords whenever you get the opportunity.
- App based system. Useable by smart phone.
- In-home monitor
- Apple & Android
- Intrusion test
- Automated tools to check password strength & security
- 16 – 25 characters long, use passphrases, something memorable
- The hacker can create a new user with his own account and password
- Internet of Things
- Strongest factor is password strength
- Remote function and local mode (will only work within the home, use local network)
- listen passively and can learn about your home environment
- Two factor authentication, use an extra device that prevents unauthorized changes
- Dropcam HD