UPDATE, 11:50 a.m.: The Suburban newspaper website has been restored.
The website of the Suburban newspaper has been hacked by a group that claims to be anti-Israel.
Editor in chief Beryl Wajsman was informed by the IT department of the newspaper at 8:20 a.m. that the website of the weekly paper had been hacked by a group called Laakel En Person.
The main page of the site consisted of a garbled message about helping “the Gazans currently being annihilated by the sadistic so Im forces of the IDF. It has also been initiated to destroy the Israeli network and preserved the Internet for the Palestinians facing persecution by the Israeli government.”
Wajsman contacted the police immediately and said he cannot discuss how the hacking occurred. He said the site will be compromised for “a couple of hours because police need time to trace this.”
Wajsman said this is not some kid frolicking around on the Internet, but that the planning and technical skill make clear this hateful message was professionally planned.
“Sure, the owners of the Suburban are Jewish and we are staunchly pro-Israel.
“I get threats all over. Last September I got a death threat that said I would be made into soap. You take positions, you get threats, it’s a dangerous world,” Wajsman said.
When asked about a hate crime Tuesday where four cars parked in a garage on Côte-St-Luc Rd. were spray painted with swastikas, Wajsman declined to make a connection.
“I can’t speak to that incident,” he said.
- Pro-Israel newspaper has been breached by an anti-Israeli hacker group known as Laakel En Person
- The main page was defaced.
- Always ensure you have changed any default passwords for WordPress, sql databases, etc.
- Always use strong passwords, this includes using special characters, numbers, upper & lower case characters
- Install Intrustion Prevention software if you can/if available.
- Penetration Testing your corporate website will go a long way in protecting you and your organization.
- Keep up to date on all bugs and exploits that may impact your corporate security and organization.
I’m a government cleared cybersecurity expert (a Certified Ethical Hacker), and the Vice-President of Cyber at SIRCO, an investigations and protections firm in Montréal, Canada.
I’m also a frequent contributor to National & Global media reportage about cyber-crime, spying, security failures, internet scams, and the real social network dangers that families and individuals face every day.