Click here to listen to the interview Terry_Cutler_Brent Loucks_Show_Mar6
Computer held for ransom ?
Click here for removal instructions http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/shared/ransomware.aspx
What is ransomware?
- Lockscreen ransomware, which displays a full-screen image or webpage that prevents you from accessing anything in your computer, and
- Encryption ransomware, which encrypts your files with a password, preventing you from opening them
Most ransomware display a notification, saying that the authorities in your location have detected illegal activity in your computer. To avoid prosecution, and regain access to your files, ransomware demand payment from you in the form of a “fine”.
Paying the “fine” does not necessarily return your computer to a usable state. We do not advise that you pay. With ransomware, the threat of prosecution does not come from the legitimate authorities.
I’m a government cleared cybersecurity expert (a Certified Ethical Hacker), and the Vice-President of Cyber at SIRCO, an investigations and protections firm in Montréal, Canada.
I’m also a frequent contributor to National & Global media reportage about cyber-crime, spying, security failures, internet scams, and the real social network dangers that families and individuals face every day.
Latest posts by tcutler (see all)
- Cops warn of scammers using fake claims of tax refunds - April 17, 2017
- How to know if you’ve been hacked - April 16, 2017
- 47 year old man arrested following Concordia University bomb threat - March 2, 2017